Our Picks for the Best Benzene Water Filters
Removes up to 99-percent of chemicals, heavy metals, sediment, and other contaminants then adds healthy minerals back
Modular all-in-one filter design for easy maintenance
Comes with a complete DIY-friendly installation kit
NSF-Certified, EPA approved
Requires basic plumbing tools like wrenches and teflon tape
Light-weight, portable, and easily moved around the counter top
Removes viruses, protozoa, TMHs, drugs and other chemicals
Safe to use, durable and long lasting
The system has been tested countless times to produce brilliant results
Needs to be broken in properly to ensure filtering correctly
Filters an astounding one million gallon of water and is expected to last a decade
The UV filter protects against viruses and bacteria from festering and growing
Multiple filtration systems provide your whole house with clean water for all needs
Easy to install and easy to function
More expensive than smaller systems but lasts much longer
May need professional assistance depending on current plumbing system
Long lasting and durable, this system can pump around 3,000 gallons of water
No cumbersome maintenance required
Filters out heavy chemicals, metals and chlorine compounds with its 4-filtration systems
One of the cheapest water filtration systems for homes and offices
May run into minor leaking issues
Easy installation unless your fridge is over 20 years old
Why Trust Waterful.org?
Our water scientists and engineers spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing, and testing products to recommend the best picks. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and we never accept free products from manufacturers .
Through point emissions from industries, Benzene enters water and affects the entire supply in the area. This then gets into our drinking water and causes a number of negative health effects.
Private well owners are more at risk of becoming infected with Benzene but it is important to make sure that any water source is free of this toxic chemical. The best way to do this is to install a water filter at some point in your home’s supply
We all know that 71% of the earth’s surface is covered with water, and this doesn’t include the waterfalls, lakes, springs and the polar region’s glaciers. The water that we drink comes from a variety of sources and sometimes, it can become a little difficult to find out whether it is clean or not. In Anatomy 101, we learned that 60% of our body is made up of water. So, you can imagine how important water is for us to remain healthy.
Water is the primary contributor to our environment and ecosystem. It is found everywhere on the globe and is vital for our survival. A hydrated body is one that functions properly. The world is changing, and we are becoming more and more dependent on technology. New machines are being developed everywhere to make human lives easy. As a result, we are facing pollution and climate change. The air and water are suffering, which is affecting our environment and daily lives. With all these growths and expansions, the one thing that comes under the line of fire, so to speak, is water.
Today, before drinking anything, we think to ourselves, “Is this safe?” Water that was once free and clean everywhere in the world is now being sold by numerous companies. Water sources are being contaminated, and we need to be vigilant about what we are drinking. So, what can you do?
According to EPA, “Drinking water contaminants at elevated levels have been associated with increased risk of a range of diseases in children, including acute diseases such as gastrointestinal illness, developmental effects such as learning disorders, endocrine disruption, and cancer.”You are probably familiar with contaminants such as fluoride, lead, chlorine, mercury, cysts and bacteria and pesticides. One contaminant that is hard to identify in water is Benzene.
The question is: where does it come from? Would you believe if we said that you are producing this chemical in your house and in fact, poisoning your entire family? This gives you something to think about, doesn’t it? The good news is — this contaminant can be removed from water by NSF certified water filters.
What Is Benzene In Drinking Water?
The presence of Benzene in drinking water is all thanks to the changes in the environment and due to our own practices. It is a sweet smelling, volatile and clear liquid that is used as a gasoline additive. It is also used in producing products like cosmetics, insecticides and paint dyes. In recent years, Benzene’s use has been decreased. This liquid is highly flammable and is naturally produced from forest fires and volcanoes. Its odor threshold in water is 10 mg/liter.
In soil, this liquid decomposes under aerobic conditions. On the surface, when it gets into drinking water, it rapidly volatilizes. Lastly, in the air, it reacts with hydroxyl radicals and becomes toxic for people.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Benzene concentration in drinking water generally should be 0 or less than 5 mg/liter. In fact, EPA is trying to reduce this count even more by making sure that safe dumping practices are adopted by industries. Prolonged exposure can lead to cancer from Benzene, along with other health problems such as damage to blood cells and the central nervous system, stunted child development and weak immune system.
How Does Benzene Enter Water?
Benzene evaporates quite quickly into the air. Compared to air molecules, its vapor is pretty heavy, which is why it sinks low and the particles land on water. Due to its weight, Benzene liquid or vapor does not completely dissolve in water and hence, floats on top.
Where is Benzene Found?
Gas emissions, cigarette smoke and crude oil release Benzene into the air and land, which leaches into the ground and enters the water. Benzene is ranked as the highest produced chemical in a list of “Top 20 Chemical Productions in the US”. The uses of Benzene are numerous, which is why it is difficult to limit its involvement with water and the environment.
Private well owners are more at risk of becoming infected with Benzene. Through point emissions from industries, Benzene enters water and affects the entire supply in the area. This water needs to be tested in an accredited laboratory. If the Benzene count is 0.1 mg/liter, then there’s no reason for alarm. However, anything higher than that can cause numerous Benzene health effects in the long run. As for public water systems, you can demand a report to make sure that the water you are drinking is safe.
According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), in the past 5 years, more than 18 states have been served for Benzene contamination. The state that was most affected was Texas.
Boiling water is one great way to remove contaminants from water. However, boiling water doesn’t remove Benzene! In fact, it increases inhalation exposure due to the water vapor that rises in the air. As of yet, there’s no proof that Benzene can be removed from water through this technique.
How Do You Remove Benzene From Water?
Now that you know how your drinking water is getting polluted by Benzene, let’s have a look at the short-term and long-term health problems this chemical causes:
Benzene Exposure Symptoms
Drinking water or eating foods that contain Benzene can cause the following side effects within a few minutes or several hours:
- Stomach irritation
- Irregular or rapid heartbeat
- Death (contamination level: 150 to 179 µg/liter)
If your house is located near a chemical plant, which forces you to directly inhale Benzene fumes or pollutes your water, then along with the above-mentioned symptoms, you will experience the following side effects:
In some cases, if the Benzene level is high in water, it induces vomiting, which can travel back into the lungs. This causes coughing and breathing problems. The higher the level of Benzene in water, the more severe the injury will be. It will start from a minor tissue injury and then lead to harmful effects.
Long-term exposure to Benzene can lead to the following health problems:
- Excessive bleeding from a wound because of a weak immune system
- High risk of infection
- Cancer (Leukemia)
The question now is — how can this chemical be removed from your drinking water?
Through an NSF certified benzene water filter.
There are two ways through which Benzene can be removed from your water supply. These include:
- Granular activated carbon water filter
- Reverse osmosis water filter
Granular Activated Carbon Water Filter for Benzene
Benzene is a strong chemical as compared to other water contaminants. This is why it is important to install a water filter in the house that removes this chemical on the spot. A granulated activated carbon benzene filter works by trapping contaminants from water that pass through a filter. Some water filters combine aeration with a charcoal filter to remove dissolved gasses. These filters allow homeowners to make sure that their overall water supply is clean.
Water softener filters don’t have the power to remove Benzene. When it comes to a countertop benzene water filter or an under sink benzene water filter, they are pretty simple to use. The former water filter operates on its own, whereas the latter uses a cartridge, which is inserted into the purification device and before the water even reaches the faucet, it is purified.
Reverse Osmosis Water Filter for Benzene
A reverse osmosis benzene water filtration system has a simple mechanism. It purifies water when it is pushed with pressure through a semi-permeable membrane. This action traps all the contaminants and removes impurities such as salt from the water.
Recommended Benzene Water Filters
Now that you’re aware of the dangers benzene water poses to your health, it’s time to be proactive and invest in a water filter that will remove contaminants and compounds alike.
Water filters for benzne don’t only remove benzene. They remove its derivatives and other compounds that are similar to it and bind with it too. An added advantage of using water filters is that besides eradicating sources of benzene, they also cleanse water from other impurities like bacteria, pathogens, viruses, metals and other harmful compounds.
In other words, water filters are lifesavers!
Best Counter Top Benzene Water Filter
The filter utilizes the power of gravity to purify contaminated water. So when the dirty water enters the system it gushes down to the lower chamber due to extreme water pressure created by the system’s design. The bottom chamber collects the clean water as the impurities get trapped inside the middle chamber that’s attached with multiple filters.
The simplistic design is highly efficient and easy-to-use. The best part is that you don’t require any tools or electrical connections to install this device. This means you won’t have to worry about increasing your electricity bill by installing this device. Nor will you have to change the system when you move from one residence to another.
Another advantage is its sufficient storage capacity that handles 3.25 gallons of water per day. It’s an ideal fit for a large household. Plus, the economical cost and non-corrosive stainless steel construction are a bonus benefit.
The only setback is that the replacement parts come with a hefty price tag. Adding to this is the difficulty in cleaning the filters due to its unique filtration process. So make sure to include the maintenance cost prior to purchase.
The Gravity-Fed Water Filter by Royal Berkey is the best countertop filter for Benzene. Think of it as your travel companion that will provide you with clean water no matter where you are. Now when you go camping, you don’t have to worry about finding a clean source of water. The tank is made of AISI 304 stainless steel and can store up to 3.25 gallons of water. This NSF certified benzene water filter can be placed on any surface and can be used to treat raw water from streams, remote lakes and even stagnant ponds.
- Provides up to 6,000 gallons of clean water until the carbon filter needs to be replaced
- Along with removing Benzene and heavy metals, it also removes 99.999% of viruses and protozoa like giardia and cryptosporidium
- AISI 304 stainless steel has self-sterilizing properties
- Requires no electricity
- Is perfect for a small family on a trip
- The upper chamber can be easily removed for storage
- Can be fitted with other filter types to remove multiple metals
- Replacement parts and repairs are too costly.
- Maintaining a gravity-fed water filter can be challenging.
Best Pitcher Benzene Water Filter
The Clean Water Machine by Aquasana claims to remove 99% of asbestos, lead, and 73 other contaminants through its professional grade filtration Claryum® Technology. The pitcher offers ultra pure and delicious water that retains all its minerals even after passing the carbon filter. The filter also improves the pH level of water and reduces acidic compounds. This NSF certified Benzene water filter holds up to 1 gallon (16 cups) of water.
Then look no further than the clean water machine. Shaped like a jug, this pitcher filter is a must-have essential for nature trails, road trips, and other traveling expeditions. Not only does it remove fluoride from your water, but it manages to eradicate other harmful anomalies too. With a 99% success rate, you can expect to get fresh and clean water every single time.
How does it work? The pitcher comes with heavy duty carbon filters that remove water impurities. It’s designed to accommodate over 1 gallon of water in a single cycle. We feel that this is an ideal investment for bachelors and college kids who live in dorms. That’s because it’s affordable, easy to use, and won’t require immediate repairs.
On the contrary, these features aren’t adequate for large families during their daily routine. That’s because refilling it repeatedly will be a great hassle. Plus, its short-lived lifetime guarantee (3 months) if also a big turn off for homeowners who’re looking for a permanent water filtration solution.
- Removes heavy metals like lead and mercury, along with organic chemicals like Benzene, pesticides, herbicides and VOCs
- Removes pharmaceuticals like ibuprofen and estrone
- The Claryum® Technology offers absolute sub-micron mechanical filtration, which makes this the best pitcher filter for Benzene
- Has a beautiful and slim design, which does not take much counter space
- Is 10 times stronger in reducing contaminants and lasts 8 times more than other pitcher filters
- Is power activated, which puts pressure on the water when it passes through the carbon filter and gives you cleaner water
- The pitcher can be removed from the machine and placed in the refrigerator
- Too small to cater to large families
- 3-months long lifetime warranty isn’t feasible for budget-friendly homes
Best Under Counter Benzene Water Filter
The 3-Stage Under Counter Filter also has Claryum® Technology, which removes 97% of all the contaminants in water, which include organic chemicals like Benzene, heavy metals like lead, asbestos, mercury, etc., cysts like cryptosporidium and giardia and pharmaceuticals. It removes 15 times more contaminants as compared to other filters. The 3-stage system offers 20 microns pre-filter, which captures sediment and rust. The filter’s life capacity delivers 600 gallons of water. This is the best under sink filter for Benzene, as it comes equipped with smart technology. You no longer have to guess when to replace the filter because the system will tell you itself.
Then you’ll appreciate the clever design and super speedy installation process of this 3-stage Under Counter Water Filter. The system is fitted with three filters that remove up to 77 different impurities from your well water and municipal water supply.
How does it work? The filter comes with a granulated active carbon fluoride filter that removes fluoride, VOC, pesticides, and other additives present in the water. Then the water passes through a catalytic carbon that deals with chlorine impurities. Lastly, the water is cleaned with an ion-exchange process that handles heavy metals like lead and mercury. Adding to this is the micromechanical filters that trap bacteria, cysts, and other germs.
Despite its high-tech specs, you’ll have no problem in setting the system up. The small size makes it easy to manage and the replacement process is simple too. Plus, the compact under sink fluoride water filter is made from eco-friendly parts. That means you get to clean your water and reduce plastic wastage at the same time.
- Eliminates 15x more containments than most filters
- Fast filtration system gives fresh water on demand
- Smart filtration process that includes three ultra-efficient stages
- Tackles fluoride pollutants, cysts, and other toxic substances from your tap water supply
- DIY-friendly installation process
- Comes with additional storage capacity (200 gallons)
- Simple construction makes it filter replacement feel like a breeze
- Made from eco-friendly parts with minimum plastic usage
- NSF certified for all health standards
- Has a simple twist-off design for replacing the filter, which reduces any plastic waste
- The Claryum® Technology ensures that the water delivered tastes great, contains all the minerals and does not have any weird smell
- Has a high flow rate. It filters ½ gallon of water per minute
- This NSF certified Benzene water filter is the first filter having a P473 certificate, which removes perfluorooctanoic acid and perfluorooctane sulfonate
- You might face leakage issues which could cause plumbing issues (e.g. seepage)
- Some users complained about durability issues
Best Reverse Osmosis Benzene Water Filter
The OptimH2O® water filter is a powerhouse that offers the benefits of reverse osmosis, Claryum® Technology and remineralization. It filters 5 times more contaminants than other water filters and claims to remove 88 substances in water, which includes chemicals, heavy metals and pesticides. It’s an NSF certified Benzene water filter, which means you can rely on it for pure and hydrating water. The activated carbon filters the water finely, the catalytic carbon is an ammonia disinfectant, the absolute sub-micron filtration captures chlorine resistant cysts and finally, remineralization gives you clean and tasty drinking water, which makes this the best reverse osmosis filter for Benzene.
As mentioned earlier, reverse osmosis water filters for fluoride are highly-effective. They are the easiest way to get crystal clear water that tastes great and has zero fluoride residues. So if you’re on the lookout for an RO system for fluoridated water then you should choose OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis + Claryum.
Why? This premium quality filtration unit merges the efficiency of reverse osmosis process with high tech features. These special features ensure that every impurity from fluoride to microorganisms like bacteria and viruses are removed. The best part is that it removes 97% fluoride without demineralizing the water. In other words, your drinking water will contain the good minerals you need to keep you healthy and safe.
The only issue you’ll face is during the installation process as it requires an expert. Besides this, environmentally-conscious families won’t like the fact that the system isn’t water efficient.
- Has been tested and proven to remove 5 times more contaminants than other reverse osmosis water filters
- Offers remineralization of water, which restores the right amount of potassium, magnesium and calcium in it for optimally pH balanced water and alkalinity
- The selective Claryum® filtration removes 74 contaminants from water
- The RO process filters contaminants smaller than one micron
- The combination of reverse osmosis, Claryum® Technology and remineralization offers a reliable flow rate
- Ideal under sink fluoride water filter for families big and small
- Ultra-efficient RO system to purify your dirty tap water
- It removes 95% of fluoride and adds back lost minerals to improve water quality
- Regulates a steady water flow without any blockages
- User-friendly replacement and maintenance process
- NSF certified fluoride water filter
- Requires professional installation
- Water wastage is more than most water filter systems
Best Whole House Benzene Water Filter System
Do you want something that purifies the main supply?
The 1,000,000 Gallon Rhino water filter is the best whole house filter for Benzene, as it cleans your hard water and removes 97% of chlorine from it. It also removes organic chemicals and industrial elements through its unique design. The up-flow of the water from the dual tanks provides a steady stream of water and prevents clogging. Depending on the sediment levels in your water, you only need to change the filter after every 1 to 3 months. This NSF certified Benzene water filter provides not only pure and tastier drinking water but also clean water everywhere in the house.
Aquasana caters to your need with its whole house filter for fluoride called Rhino. The study unit is designed to purify 100,000 gallons of water per year. It’s spacious, geared with the best technology, and corrosion-free. That’s why its high price seems doable when we weigh in all the health benefits it offers to the whole household.
From a salt-free conditioning system, efficient fluoride filtration, to UV filtration, it covers all aspects of modern filtration requirements. The best part is that it takes care of your drinking water and cleaning water in one-go. That means you don’t have to purchase additional filters for the bathrooms and laundry room.
Your only complaint will be that the installation and maintenance will require professional assistance. However, you’ll see that it will all be worth it in the end.
- You can also install a salt-free water conditioner with the filter. It prevents scale buildup and prolongs the life of your plumbing pipes
- The UV filter (optional) removes viruses and bacteria from the water
- The activated carbon filter removes 97% of all contaminants, including heavy metals, organic chemicals, chlorine resistant cysts such as cryptosporidium and giardia, and bacteria such as E. coli
- The SCM salt-free technology prevents harsh chemicals and salt from destroying the pipes
- The product claims that it will filter 1,000,000 gallons of water throughout a time period of 10 years
- The filter can also be bought with the pro-grade installation kit, which offers a couple of more benefits
- Supplies odorless and tasteless water throughout the house
- Highly advanced filtration system protects you from fluoride and other water pollutants
- Superior UV-filter shields you from water-borne diseases
- Easily hooked up with the main water lines to accommodate the entire household
- Smart salt-free technology prevents plumbing issues in the main water supply
- Protects hair and skin along with your health due to its dual technology
- Durable and hardwearing purchase suitable for long-term use
- NSF certification meets all health standards
- The system isn’t user-friendly
- Time consuming installation process
- Pricey purchase
Best Inline Refrigerator Fluoride Water Filter
IC-EZ-4 EZ-Change Inline Icemaker Refrigerator Filtration System is the perfect solution for bad smelling and tasting water and chlorine. The RC-EZ-4 filter cartridge removes heavy metals, organic chemicals and chlorine resistant cysts from water and gives you clean, ice cold water in just a few minutes. The filter comes with the installation hardware and can be easily installed. This is the best refrigerator filter for Benzene as it has a simple twist on and off mechanism, which allows you to easily replace the filter. This NSF certified Benzene water filter is quite affordable and saves you money and the hassle of buying bottled water.
Refrigerator filtration systems are trendy and totally in-demand. They ensure that you get freshly cleaned chill water at all times. The inline icemaker and filtration process can be easily installed on your fridge. The compact size ensures that it’s compatible with most home refrigerators. Plus, the efficient filtration process manages to deal with everything from fluoride, lead particles to viruses.
The only drawback is that it has limited use when compared with the other products mentioned in this article. That’s why you may feel that its pricier than most water filters.
- EZ filter changes and quick connect fittings make it DIY-friendly
- Replacement filter cartridge included in the package
- Easy filter replacement mechanism
- The filter has been tested and is certified to NSF/ANSI Standard 42, which reduces chloramines and other particulates
- Comes with a small kit that allows you to install the filter easily
- The water flow rate is 0.5 gpm at 60 psi
- Combats 97% water contaminations
- Eradicates bacteria, cysts, and water-borne viruses
- Long lasting investment
- NSF certified for ultimate protection
- Limited usage
- Costly purchase compared to other refrigerator fluoride water systems
Click Your City/State for Tap Water Safety
WARNING: Utilities Do Not Test What Comes Out of Your Faucet
Learn Exactly What’s In Your Water
Conclusion on Benzene Water Filters
And there you have it — some of the best NSF certified Benzene water filters for your house! If Benzene is present in drinking water, it can affect your health negatively, so get your water tested now and pick the best filter for yourself.
So what are you waiting for? Go get your benzene water filter to keep your family safe and healthy!