Any amount of lead is not safe for humans, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The health effects of lead are determined by exactly how much lead in going inside the body and where it is being stored.
Lead in drinking water is a common problem in many areas such as Flint, Michigan, where tap water and well water are used. Homeowners use lead water test kits to ensure that the water they are drinking is safe for them and their families.
A good water filtration system cleans the water from all contaminants such as lead, chlorine, or arsenic. They make water healthy and drinkable to avoid health problems and side-effects of such harmful metals.
The following is a buying guide for you to find the best water filters for lead in Newark, New Jersey. The article consists of everything you need to know about how lead enters drinking water, how it can be removed, and which water filters work best to make water lead free.
Light-weight, portable, and easily moved around the counter top
Removes 99.9999% of viruses, protozoa, TMHs, drugs and other chemicals
Safe to use, durable and long lasting
The system has been tested countless times to produce brilliant results
The filters are a bit tough to work with
Needs to be broken in properly to ensure filtering correctly
10 times stronger filtration than other leading filters in the market
Fits easily in all fridges
Offers Bluetooth connection to monitor the device and order replacement filters
Quick filtration process means you have ready to consume water in minutes
The pitcher and lids are not dishwasher safe
The capacity is limited to 16 glasses of water
The system can filter up to 600 gallons of water easily!
The faucet is durable, hygienic and meets modern interior requirement
Also removes rust, sediment, silt and other forms of debris
Constructed using an eco friendly and minimal-plastic wastage design
Maintenance is required to check for leaks
The under sink area must be kept clean at all times
Removes solids smaller than 1 micron to purify drinking water
Introduces calcium, potassium and magnesium into purified water to remineralise it
Reduces over 74 contaminants, metals, pharmaceuticals and other chemicals
Targets chlorine and ammonia via carbon filtration
Bulky system requires space
Tank needs to be maintained and kept clean
Filters an astounding one million gallon of water and is expected to last a decade
The UV filter protects against viruses and bacteria from festering and growing
Multiple filtration systems provide your whole house with clean water for all needs
Easy to install and easy to function
More expensive than smaller systems but lasts much longer
May need professional assistance depending on current plumbing
Long lasting and durable, this system can pump around 3,000 gallons of water
No cumbersome maintenance required
Filters out heavy chemicals, metals and chlorine compounds with its 4-filtration systems
One of the cheapest water filtration systems for homes and offices
May run into minor leaking issues
Easy installation nuless your fridge is over 20 years old
What is Lead in Drinking Water?
Lead is a heavy chemical element that is found in small amounts in our environment. When lead enters water, it makes the water highly contaminated as EPA says exposure to lead – in drinking water – is highly dangerous for human health. The American activist group, Environmental Working Group, urges homeowners to be aware of lead in water as it is extremely harmful, especially for children.
Homeowners must know all about the water coming in. All community water systems in America are required to submit an annual water quality report to ensure the water in homes is safe.
Lead could enter drinking water in many different ways. You cannot taste, smell, or see lead in water. Thus, the best way to find out is to test the water coming into your home. The testing can be conducted for merely $20-80 from certified state or local laboratories. The next thing you should know is where the lead is coming from.
Where Does the Lead in Drinking Water Come From?
In its simplest forms, lead doesn’t occur naturally in well water, but it gets in it through the delivery system such as lead pipes and corrosion. Even if your community water system is clean and safe, you may have lead in your drinking water due to the home plumbing system.
The most common source of lead in tap water is through corrosion of lead pipes, fixtures, and faucets. Despite the low levels of lead in brass, the lead easily dissolves and contaminates the water.
Most homes in Michigan and New Jersey have underground water lines that are made of lead pipes. Even though lead pipes were more common in the 1980s and 1990s, they are still found in houses today. When the soil expands or contracts due to weather changes, corrosion takes place and lead is released into the water the pipes carry to the taps. New construction materials include brass or chrome-plated brass with lead solder that dissolves in water.
There are also other plumbing fixtures and fittings other than pipes that contain lead such as the surface of water tanks, hoses, hand washing sinks, etc. The water that goes through these fixtures and fittings is also contaminated with lead due to corrosion.
According to EPA, the amount of lead that is acceptable in drinking water is 0.25 percent calculated across the surface of pipes, fittings, and fixtures. The extent to which lead enters the water depends on various factors such as:
- The acidity and alkalinity of the water
- The types of minerals present naturally in the water
- The temperature of the water
- How long the water stays in the pipes
- The protective layers and coatings present inside plumbing fixtures.
Health Effects of Lead in Drinking Water
EPA has set the maximum contamination level goal for lead at zero because lead is a toxic element even when it is absorbed by the body in small amounts. Since lead is persistent, it can accumulate in the body and have adverse physical and behavioral effects.
Lead Water Health Effects on Children
A minor dose of lead may have little or no effect on an adult, but it can have a severe impact on the child’s health and wellbeing. The harmful level of lead in a child’s blood is 5 micrograms per deciliter or more.
While there are other ways in which children are exposed to lead, drinking water is the most common and direct way. The lead that goes directly in the stomach with water is spread across the body quickly. A child can be exposed to lead through paint, soil, air, dust, and food. However, up to 60% of all exposure to lead is through drinking water.
Lead can affect young children, infants, and even fetuses from developing. A small dose of lead can result in:
- Behavioral problems
- Learning disabilities
- Lower IQ and hyperactivity
- Peripheral nervous system
- Hearing impairments
- Formation impairments
- Slowed growth
- Dysfunction of blood cells
- Seizures (rare cases)
Lead Water Health Effects on Pregnant Women
As we said, even fetuses can be affected by lead exposure since it accumulates inside the body. Lead is stored in the bones along with calcium. This is why, during pregnancy, it is released alongside maternal calcium and contributes to the formation of the fetus’ bones. If a woman doesn’t have enough natural calcium in the bones, lead releases and activated in the body. The fetus exposed to lead may result in:
- Premature birth
- Reduced growth
Lead Water Health Effects on Adults
Adults who are exposed to lead may suffer from:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- High blood pressure
- Decreased kidney function
- Reproductive problems
Lead health effects are dangerous. However, when lead interacts with the body externally, it doesn’t have any effect. Washing or bathing in lead contaminated water is not harmful as lead doesn’t absorb in human skin. However, if the water is highly corrosive, you may need to take some precautions. The way to stay safe from lead water is to ensure you don’t swallow it or inhale it through your nose while showering.
How Do You Remove Lead From Water?
Given the health risks and problems that contaminated water is causing, a water filtration system is the most convenient, low-cost solution for lead polluted water.
While many people have adopted bottled water as their main source of drinking water, it is not a cost-effective solution. It also causes environmental degradation due to the excessive use of plastic bottles.
A water filtration system can be the best option for homeowners. Because of advanced technology, water filters have the ability to make water entirely lead free and safe.
There are many types of water filtration systems that can be installed around your home for different purposes. Some of the types from which you can choose are:
- Reverse osmosis lead water filtration system
- Countertop lead water filter
- Refrigerator lead water filter
- Under sink lead water filter
- Well lead water filter
- Whole house lead water filter
- Granulated activated carbon lead filter
These water filters can be placed anywhere in the house according to their size and functions. They are convenient as they are installed with the tap or the faucet, so you receive filtered water directly from the tap. Water filtration systems need to be changed after every six months or one year to ensure safe and clean water.
Importance of NSF Certification for Lead Water Filters
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an organization in the US founded in 1944 to improve and protect human health. NSF regulates different products and appliances to health standards and certification. All products and appliances used in a commercial kitchen undergo certification, including dishwashers, cutting boards, and even water filters. The purpose is to ensure these appliances comply with the safety rules and health standards.
It is important for water filters to be NSF certified because of the product testing requirements that NSF stands by. They have different categories through which they judge the product in affiliation with other regulatory agencies such as the EPA. The certification is issued after a detailed administration of the appliances.
When choosing the best water filtration system for your homes, you must look for filters that are NSF approved and certified. If a filter meets NSF standards 42 and 53, then the filter is certified to reduce lead and other contaminants from water.
Distillation of Lead From Water
Distillers are the simplest protection against lead contamination in water. The process involves separating substances from a mixture by using varying temperatures. The purification occurs when the liquids boil and condense under the shifting temperature.
Although effective, this process isn’t as thorough as modern-day filtration systems. So you should consider it as your last option.
Reverse Osmosis Filtration System for Lead in Water
RO systems are the most popular choice to tackle the lead water situation. The systems are designed to removes minute contaminants from your water supply with the help of specialized semi-permeable membranes.
It’s a feasible option for households because RO systems can be hooked to various parts of the household. This includes under the sink water filters and whole household water filters.
Activated Alumina Adsorption Filters for Lead in Water
Activated alumina effectively gets rids of traces of lead, fluoride, arsenic, and other impurities present in drinking water. High-quality filters can change 10ppm herbicides and pesticides levels to a minimum of 1 ppm. The system leaches the contaminants depending on how long they come in contact with the core alumina filter media.
The good thing is that installing one of these fixtures can regulate your lead consumption. Most of them improve water quality by eradicating other harmful chemicals, sediments, and other impurities in your main supply. Thus, these water filters give you free access to fresh, clean, and healthy drinking water.
It’s important to note that boiling lead from water or substituting tap water for drinking water isn’t a solution. It’s because boiling water doesn’t have any effect on the lead levels. Similarly, bottled water is often mineralized during the treatment process. That means it might contain traces of lead too.
Recommended Lead Water Filters
Now that you’re aware of the dangers lead water poses to your health, it’s time to be proactive and invest in a water filter that will remove contaminants and compounds alike.
Water filters for lead don’t only remove pesticide and herbicide. They remove its derivatives and other compounds that are similar to it and bind with it too. An added advantage of using water filters is that besides eradicating sources of lead, they also cleanse water from other impurities like bacteria, pathogens, viruses, metals and other harmful compounds.
In other words, water filters are lifesavers!
Best Counter Top Lead Water Filter
This is the best countertop filter for lead with the best features you were looking for. The water filter is ideal for large families as it has a large storage unit and can be used to filter treated and untreated water. It can take water from lakes, streams, and even stagnant ponds and filter it to make it safe for your family. This water filter is gravity-fed, which means that you can use it in outdoor environments where there is limited or no electricity and water pressure. The following are the pros and cons of this product:
- It has a capacity of 3.25 gallons of water, which is why it is perfect for large families
- It is portable so you can take it for outdoor events, when traveling or in unexpected emergencies. It is also the perfect size, just 23” tall and 9” in diameter
- It has high intensity, powerful purification system as it is equipped with Black Berkey Purification Elements. This means that the water is not only lead-free but also purified. It filters out 99.99% of viruses and bacteria. It also filters other heavy metals such as arsenic and mercury
- It is an economical option as it is long-lasting, purifies large amounts of water, and is strong
- It also comes with additional elements that can be replaced
- It doesn’t require electricity or any other tools
- It is certified by NSF
- Replacement elements need to be bought separately
Best Pitcher Lead Water Filter
The Aquasana clean water machine is the best pitcher filter for herbicides and pesticides that you can use in your home. This water filter claims to be 10 times stronger and lasts 8 times longer than other brand pitcher filters. It is a pitcher or a jug that you can place anywhere in your home. It is power-activated and forces water through the ultra-dense carbon. The filter removes 96% of the contaminants from water, including heavy metals and all sorts of herbicides and pesticides. It is available online on the Aquasana website.
The Aquasana clean water machine is the best pitcher filter for lead. It is a portable jug-like machine that can store up to one gallon of water. It is one of the trendiest designs for water filters that release water directly in your glass. It is the perfect sized system that will give you and your family lead free water as well as look good in your kitchen.
- It removes 96% of the contaminants and bad chemicals from the water, including lead
- It also kills bacteria and cysts present in the water, making it even safer to consume
- It purifies water instantly. Tap water is directly filtered and collected in the jug
- It is power activated so you can simply control its usage
- It is long lasting and durable as it lasts up to three months
- Good value for money as it comes with a 15% discount on replacements, free shipping, and lifetime system warranty
- It is laboratory and NSF certified
- It is not suitable for large families as it would take a while to refill the jug again and again
Best Under Counter Lead Water Filter
Aquasana 3-Stage Under Counter water filter is the best under sink filter for lead that can be placed right under your sink counter. It uses smart technology to filter out heavy metals from the water before it reaches your taps. It has Bluetooth filter tracking that allows you to keep track of the water coming into your home. It also alerts you with the amount and type of metal that was filtered out of the water.
- It can handle heavy water flow in the taps, gives 44% faster water flow
- It offers an additional capacity of 200 gallons
- It can eliminate up to 77 contaminants from the water within minutes
- It is a highly eco-friendly filtration system as it eliminates plastic waste
- The filters are made of claryum technology, which purifies water 10X more than a regular water filter
- The water after filtration is delicious in taste
- The filters are easy to replace and can be done at home without professional help
- It is highly convenient and worth the price as it is a smart technology system that needs fewer replacements
- It also comes in different sizes and shapes so you can match it with your trendy kitchen faucet
- Certified to NSF standards 42 and 53
- It may be difficult to reach as it is placed under the sink
- If there is a leakage in the water, there is a chance of seepage and mold growth
- Requires maintenance
Best Reverse Osmosis Lead Water Filter
The Aquasana OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis + Claryum filter is the best Reverse Osmosis filter for lead you need in your home. Reverse Osmosis is the best proven water filtration system to get rid of lead and make your drinking water safe for your kids. It combines premium filtration technology and the reverse osmosis method to purify water. This filter is tested and removes 5X more contaminants than other reverse osmosis systems.
- It filters the water while maintaining the healthy minerals that other reverse osmosis systems remove
- It removes 95% of lead from the water without demineralizing it
- It improves the water flow and makes it ultra fast
- It is easy to change and replace
- It is NSF certified for all health standards
- Installation may be costly as it needs to be connected to several tubes and pipes
- Maintenance may be difficult as it is placed below the sink counter
Best Whole House Lead Water Filter System
The 1,000,000 Gallon Rhino whole house filtration system is the best whole house filter for PFAs. As the name suggests, this product is perfect for those who have large families and who wish to purify all the water coming into their homes so that their families stay safe. This filtration system is the best solution to all your water contamination problems in Michigan and New Jersey.
- It is a high performance water filtration system that purifies and cleans all the water in all your house taps
- It gives you clean water up to one million gallons for 10 years
- It is long-lasting and durable
- It removes lead and other contaminations up to 97% and makes the water safe for drinking as well as for your skin
- The smart design fits perfectly with the main lines
- It uses innovative salt-free technology that reduces build up inside the pipes and avoids corrosion
- It is NSF certified
- It is a huge system, so it is highly technical to understand and maintain
- It may take time to install
- The system is costly
Best Inline Refrigerator Lead Water Filter
The Culligan Refrigerator filtration system is the best refrigerator filter for lead free water in your home. The trusted brand offers an inline refrigerator and icemaker filter that makes the water cold and safe to consume.
- It comes with an easy replacement filter that you can change yourself.
- The RC-EZ-4 filter cartridge clears water from herbicides and pesticides up to 99.99%.
- It gives tasty and odorless cold water.
- The filter can purify up to 500 gallons of water and lasts up to 6 months.
- The water flow rate is super fast.
- It is NSF certified.
- It is only limited to purify refrigerator water.
- It’s only for cold water.
- The filter might reduce your fridge space, which can be a problem for big families
Conclusion on Lead Water Filters
Thanks to the products mentioned above, it is now possible for homeowners to take care of their health. Choose the best water filtration system for your family and contribute to their health and wealth!