Herbicides and pesticides present in drinking water are a serious cause for concern across the world. Even though farming techniques have revolutionized, herbicides, pesticides, and other toxins are still used, and often, herbicides and pesticides easily find their way into water supply lines.
Herbicides and pesticides health effects are still a major concern in areas where groundwater is the major source of water supply in homes. The health hazards range from short-term flu to long-term diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
Our Picks for the Best Herbicide and Pesticide Water Filters
Light-weight, portable, and easily moved around the counter top
Removes 99.9999% of viruses, protozoa, TMHs, drugs and other chemicals
Safe to use, durable and long lasting
The system has been tested countless times to produce brilliant results
The filters are a bit tough to work with
Needs to be broken in properly to ensure filtering correctly
10 times stronger filtration than other leading filters in the market
Fits easily in all fridges
Offers Bluetooth connection to monitor the device and order replacement filters
Quick filtration process means you have ready to consume water in minutes
The pitcher and lids are not dishwasher safe
The capacity is limited to 16 glasses of water
The system can filter up to 600 gallons of water easily!
The faucet is durable, hygienic and meets modern interior requirement
Also removes rust, sediment, silt and other forms of debris
Constructed using an eco friendly and minimal-plastic wastage design
Maintenance is required to check for leaks
The under sink area must be kept clean at all times
Removes solids smaller than 1 micron to purify drinking water
Introduces calcium, potassium and magnesium into purified water to remineralise it
Reduces over 74 contaminants, metals, pharmaceuticals and other chemicals
Targets chlorine and ammonia via carbon filtration
Bulky system requires space
Tank needs to be maintained and kept clean
Filters an astounding one million gallon of water and is expected to last a decade
The UV filter protects against viruses and bacteria from festering and growing
Multiple filtration systems provide your whole house with clean water for all needs
Easy to install and easy to function
More expensive than smaller systems but lasts much longer
May need professional assistance depending on current plumbing
Long lasting and durable, this system can pump around 3,000 gallons of water
No cumbersome maintenance required
Filters out heavy chemicals, metals and chlorine compounds with its 4-filtration systems
One of the cheapest water filtration systems for homes and offices
May run into minor leaking issues
Easy installation nuless your fridge is over 20 years old
Why Trust Waterful.org?
Our water scientists and engineers spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing, and testing products to recommend the best picks. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and we never accept free products from manufacturers .
Herbicides In Drinking Water
The main purpose of herbicides and pesticides is to kill weeds, insects, and other harmful bacteria from crops. They are either sprayed or added to the soil-bed, after which they make their way into groundwater.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued strict guidelines to all those using these chemicals in farming areas situated near residential areas. For all homes in those areas, EPA recommends water testing and installation of NSF-certified filters for herbicides and pesticides free water.
Herbicides are widely used in farming techniques ever since they were introduced in the 1940s. They are meant to kill insects and bacteria from plants, but these chemicals are toxic to mammals. The common types of herbicides that cannot be diluted are glyphosate and atrazine.
Glyphosate in Drinking Water
Glyphosate is a new type of herbicide that can kill any weed, not just specific weeds. Due to its effectiveness, it’s now used commercially in the agriculture industry of the US. However, when glyphosate finds its way into aquatic environments, groundwater, and well water, it becomes highly toxic and dangerous. It doesn’t degrade easily, which is why it becomes a major threat to health.
It can enter drinking water through two pathways: through the wind when sprayed in fields and through irrigation runoff into bodies of water. Humans are exposed to the chemical through inhalation and skin contact, as well as drinking water. In all ways, exposure to this chemical is not safe.
The number of health diseases caused by glyphosate contaminated water has increased in recent years, especially in Florida and Louisiana. According to the Environmental Working Group, the acceptable amount of Glyphosate in drinking water is 5 parts per billion (ppb).
The International Agency for Research on Cancer has declared Glyphosate as a Group 2A chemical, which is “probably carcinogenic to humans”. The risk of developing cancer from herbicide glyphosate is one-in-a-million. Glyphosate is classified as genotoxic, which means it can damage DNA directly and lead to cancer. It also induces oxidative stress in the body and hurts the natural aging process.
Atrazine in Drinking Water
Atrazine is another harmful herbicide used in farming to kill weeds. This chemical is highly toxic for humans and is commonly known to find its way into tap water.
A research shows that up to 7.6 million Americans are potentially at a threat of drinking water contaminated with Atrazine. According to a research published by the Environmental Working Group in 2015, up to 800 public water systems in 19 states of the US were found to be contaminated with atrazine. This herbicide is most commonly used in up to 75% of all cornfields across the US, from where it enters ground and well water.
Atrazine has become a federal threat in the US and many agencies are working to combat this threat. The Safe Drinking Water Act has regarded atrazine as a chemical that all public and residential water needs to be tested for. In fact, in many parts of Europe, atrazine is banned due to its ability to contaminate drinking water. In the US, however, there are restrictions on its use imposed by the federal government, but it is not banned.
The health effects of atrazine are severe, especially for females as it affectshormones. Research shows that women who consume atrazine-contaminated water are more likely to have hormonal imbalance, irregular menstrual cycles, and low estrogen levels. Atrazine alters, disrupts, and harms hormones in women, resulting in long-term fertility issues. There is also evidence of atrazine affecting male hormones. The legal limit of atrazine in drinking water is set to 3ppb by the EPA. Its exposure also increases the risk of developing cancer in both men and women. It’s also dangerous for the DNA and immune systems of infants and children.
Pesticides In Drinking Water
Pesticides are used in farming to kill all types of insects, fungi, weed, and other pests. They include herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc.
Even though they are essential to protect crops from unwanted elements, they are highly toxic for humans. Exposure to pesticides through contaminated tap or drinking water leads to acute and chronic health effects, depending upon the exposure.
There are thousands of different types of pesticides that are used in agriculture. Some of them stay on the soil for longer periods of time, from where the remains enter ground or surface water, while others pollute water in the form of microbes.
The toxicological elements in pesticides can be either soluble in water or insoluble. Some of them have mobility properties in the soil structure, from where they make their way into groundwater, while others may be invisible as they are soluble and cannot be seen. Remember that the higher the solubility of the pesticide, the higher the risk of it making its way into drinking water.
Other ways these pesticides contaminate water is through irrigation channels and rainfall. One study says that cleaning pesticides from groundwater is usually a difficult and sometimes impossible task. Those who use private wells are at a higher risk of utilizing contaminated water due to nearby fields.
There are many health effects of pesticides depending upon the quantity, type, and level of exposure. Pesticides such as cabamates affect the nervous system, while others may cause bacterial infections.
Stomach illnesses, flu, nausea, and headaches are common short-term health effects. Long-term health effects may include weaker immunity, hormonal imbalance, and lifetime risk of cancer. Skin and eye irritation are also common effects.
How to Avoid Herbicides and Pesticides in Your Drinking Water
Even though the risk of developing any type of cancer from herbicides and pesticides in drinking water is rare, you must take all precautions necessary to ensure the water coming into your home taps is clean and pure.
It is to be noted that boiling water doesn’t remove herbicides and pesticides; hence, the recommended precautions are water testing and installing water filters in homes. Even if small amounts of herbicides or pesticides enter the water, they can cause severe health hazards. Buying NSF certified water filters is the best way to make sure that the water is herbicide and pesticide free.
How Do You Remove Herbicides and Pesticides From Water?
As we have discussed, natural sources of water are not always safe due to the contaminants that make their way into the water. Whether you live in an area where farming takes place regularly or not, there are many ways in which herbicides and pesticides can reach the tap water.
Waterborne diseases contribute to a large percentage of total health problems. Clean drinking water is the right of every individual. While local authorities ensure that public water systems are clean, you need to have a filtration system that ensures that the water reaching your taps is safe too. In order to get quality drinking water, installing a water filter is a great idea.
A National Science Foundation (NSF) certified herbicides and pesticides water filter is a good option for you as it has the capability to remove contaminants by up to 99%. Water filters remove chemicals and elements, such as lead, arsenic, chlorine, bacteria and cysts, and even herbicides and pesticides from the water. They are also known to improve the taste of water.
NSF-certified filters are essential as they meet certain standards that certify the appliance as safe and harmless to use. The filtration technology installed in these filters is tested and approved by NSF standards.
Water filters are also more cost-effective for residential use than relying on bottled water. Water filters can be installed with taps and with the main lines of the water coming into the house. This way, you get clean water without any hassle. This prevents any dangerous contaminants from reaching your house altogether and saves you from potential skin rashes or irritation caused by exposure. Some types of water filtration systems that we will be reviewing are the following:
- Reverse osmosis herbicides and pesticides water filtration system
- Countertop herbicides and pesticides water filter
- Refrigerator herbicides and pesticides water filter
- Under sink herbicides and pesticides water filter
- Well herbicides and pesticides water filter
- Whole house herbicides and pesticides water filter
- Granulated activated carbon herbicides and pesticides filter
Distillation of Herbicides and Pesticides From Water
Distillers are the simplest protection against herbicides and pesticides contamination in water. The process involves separating substances from a mixture by using varying temperatures. The purification occurs when the liquids boil and condense under the shifting temperature.
Although effective, this process isn’t as thorough as modern-day filtration systems. So you should consider it as your last option.
Reverse Osmosis Filtration System for Herbicides and Pesticides in Water
RO systems are the most popular choice to tackle the herbicides and pesticides water situation. The systems are designed to removes minute contaminants from your water supply with the help of specialized semi-permeable membranes.
It’s a feasible option for households because RO systems can be hooked to various parts of the household. This includes under the sink water filters and whole household water filters.
Activated Alumina Adsorption Filters for Herbicides and Pesticides in Water
Activated alumina effectively gets rids of traces of herbicides and pesticides, fluoride, arsenic, and other impurities present in drinking water. High-quality filters can change 10ppm herbicides and pesticides levels to a minimum of 1 ppm. The system leaches the contaminants depending on how long they come in contact with the core alumina filter media.
The good thing is that installing one of these fixtures can regulate your herbicides and pesticides consumption. Most of them improve water quality by eradicating other harmful chemicals, sediments, and other impurities in your main supply. Thus, these water filters give you free access to fresh, clean, and healthy drinking water.
It’s important to note that boiling herbicides and pesticides from water or substituting tap water for drinking water isn’t a solution. It’s because boiling water doesn’t have any effect on the herbicides and pesticides levels. Similarly, bottled water is often mineralized during the treatment process. That means it might contain traces of herbicides and pesticides too.
Recommended Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filters
Now that you’re aware of the dangers pesticide and herbicide water poses to your health, it’s time to be proactive and invest in a water filter that will remove contaminants and compounds alike.
Water filters for pesticide and herbicide don’t only remove pesticide and herbicide. They remove its derivatives and other compounds that are similar to it and bind with it too. An added advantage of using water filters is that besides eradicating sources of pesticide and herbicide, they also cleanse water from other impurities like bacteria, pathogens, viruses, metals and other harmful compounds.
In other words, water filters are lifesavers!
Best Counter Top Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filter
The Royal Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter is the best countertop filter for herbicides and pesticides that you can buy for your home. This filter is easily available online and is popular due to its distinctive features. It is portable and requires no electricity or additional tools to operate. It is battery operated. The water is purified with the Black Berkey Purification Elements. The filter is 23” tall and 9” in diameter. It is also economical. It’s perfect to use while traveling and in emergencies.
- It’s economical. It removes contaminants from up to 6,000 gallons of water.
- It is efficient in removing herbicides and pesticides from water. It removes 99.9% of the contaminants from water.
- Uses independent testing technology to ensure that the water is clean and pure from all toxins.
- It is easy to carry and convenient due to its size. You can keep it on your countertop.
- Good for homes with children as it doesn’t involve wires or electric current. Children can safely pour water in their glasses directly.
- The filter technology provides a good flow of water.
- It is NSF-certified and complies with the required standards.
- The battery life may suffer as the purification elements need more battery power to operate efficiently.
- May require quick filter changes due to its outdoor usage. The chances of catching dirt and dust are more.
Best Pitcher Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filter
The Aquasana clean water machine is the best pitcher filter for herbicides and pesticides that you can use in your home. This water filter claims to be 10 times stronger and lasts 8 times longer than other brand pitcher filters. It is a pitcher or a jug that you can place anywhere in your home. It is power-activated and forces water through the ultra-dense carbon. The filter removes 96% of the contaminants from water, including heavy metals and all sorts of herbicides and pesticides. It is available online on the Aquasana website.
- The pitcher water filter is portable and convenient to place anywhere in your home. It is easy to refill.
- The water filter provides pure and clean drinking water immediately. It is operated by a single button.
- It has a professional grade filter that removes 73 different contaminants.
- It works with the claryum technology, which uses activated carbon, catalytic carbon, ion exchange, and absolute sub-micron mechanical filtration that results in better tasting water.
- The filter retains the minerals in the water.
- It gives a really fast flow of water.
- It is NSF certified.
- The filter doesn’t indicate when it needs to be changed. So you have to keep a track manually.
- The pitcher holds up to one gallon of water at a time, hence you need to refill it again and again.
Best Under Counter Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filter
The Aquasana 3-stage under counter water filter is the best under sink filter for herbicides and pesticides for your kitchen. This filter can be installed under your kitchen sink so that you can get contamination-free water directly in your tap. This way, you can ensure that no herbicides or pesticides enter your water at all. The 3-stage filter cleans water from up to 77 contaminants and makes it 99.99% pure for drinking and cooking. This means that you can use water directly from the tap without the need to filter it later or boil it. The filter offers increased performance with a smarter system to improve efficiency. Aquasana offers the best technology filtration systems; hence, this filter is a smart choice.
- The filter purifies water in three steps. The pre-filter stage captures sediment, rust, and silt that come with water. The claryum technology uses activated carbon, catalytic carbon, ion exchange, and absolute sub-micron mechanical filtration to give better-tasting and clear water.
- The filtration technology used is NSF-certified and independently tested.
- The filtration technology is eco-friendly as it reduces plastic waste and minimizes plastic parts.
- The Smart technology system gives alerts when the filter needs to be replaced.
- It requires professional installation, which can be a costly ordeal.
- Needs maintenance as the place under the sink needs to be clean always. Any leakage may cause mold growth or wall seepage.
Best Reverse Osmosis Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filter
The OptimH2O reverse osmosis + claryum technology water filter is the best reverse osmosis for herbicides and pesticides. This filter combines two premium technologies for water filtration and effectively removes up to 87 different contaminants. The system is tested and proven to be 5 times more efficient in removing contaminants than other RO systems. The Aquasana water filter also comes with a warranty and free shopping offer from the website directly. This filter is installed with your sink tap or near any water faucet.
- The RO and claryum technology removes 95% of fluoride and mercury, 97% of chlorine and arsenic, and 99% of lead and asbestos. It also removes herbicides and pesticides from water completely.
- The filtration system first removes impurities, then remineralizes the water to retain its rich minerals and balance the pH level.
- The filter comes with a 1 year RO membrane life and 2 year warranty.
- It can be replaced easily through the twist off system.
- The water in the tap is ultra fast, clean, and smells good.
- It is NSF certified.
- The water takes slightly longer to go through the filtration process.
- The water filter is costlier than other filtration systems.
- There is a high risk that the RO membrane will break off; hence, it requires additional maintenance and care.
- It consumes more electricity.
Best Whole House Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filter System
The Aquasana Whole House 1,000,000 gallon rhino water filter is the best whole house filter for herbicides and pesticides. The purpose of the whole house water filtration system is to ensure that all water coming into your home is clean and pure. Since herbicides and pesticides can cause rashes and irritation if exposed to the skin, a whole house filter is a good option to eliminate all such risks. The water filtration system will be installed with your main water line and all outlets will give you premium quality water. This is especially suitable for those who have children in their homes.
- It will give you pure water for up to 10 years. It is long-lasting and durable so you will not have to worry about pure water.
- Requires one-time installation with your mainline, after which you don’t have to worry about any other filtration systems.
- It purifies up to 1,000,000 gallons of water.
- The UV filter is intelligently designed using innovative technology to maximize potent filtration media. The system purifies contaminants up to 97%.
- The filtration technology also ensures a reduction in scale buildup in internal pipes.
- It is NSF-certified.
- The filter is difficult to install, so you have to hire a professional, which is a costly procedure.
- It is costly in the long-run as it requires maintenance and filter replacement by professionals. It also takes up power.
Best Inline Refrigerator Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filter
The Culligan refrigerator filtration system is the best refrigerator filter for herbicides and pesticides that you can install in your refrigerator. This filter is an advanced technology system that is fixed in-line with your refrigerator and icemaker.
- It comes with an easy replacement filter that you can change yourself.
- The RC-EZ-4 filter cartridge clears water from herbicides and pesticides up to 99.99%.
- It gives tasty and odorless cold water.
- The filter can purify up to 500 gallons of water and lasts up to 6 months.
- The water flow rate is super fast.
- It is NSF certified.
- It is only limited to purify refrigerator water.
- It’s only for cold water.
- The filter might reduce your fridge space, which can be a problem for big families
Click Your City/State for Tap Water Safety
Pro Tip: Learn Exactly What’s In Your Water
Conclusion on Pesticide and Herbicide Water Filters
In conclusion, buying an efficient and NSF certified water filtration system for your home is the best way to reduce the risk of exposure to herbicides and pesticides. So invest in one of these filters to enjoy pure drinking water and to keep your family safe from waterborne diseases.