Are you looking for the best way to get clean tap water?
Then look no further than a reverse osmosis (RO) system. It’s a nifty water filtration solution that combats most water contamination issues found in the main supply line. Installing these units provides you with a fresh supply of clean and healthy water at all times.
Unlike, other water filtering systems, you can fit this unit under the sink to maintain your kitchen’s aesthetic appeal. They’re also more efficient, cost-effective, and require minimum maintenance. With all these benefits you won’t have to look for costly fixes.
It sounds like a great investment, doesn’t it?
If you agree, then continue reading the rest of the guide to find out everything about the reverse osmosis system. We’ve also disclosed the names of the best reverse osmosis systems available in the market today. Let’s begin!
Removes solids smaller than 1 micron to purify drinking water
Introduces calcium, potassium and magnesium into purified water to remineralise it
Reduces over 74 contaminants, metals, pharmaceuticals and other chemicals
Targets chlorine and ammonia via carbon filtration
Bulky system requires space
Tank needs to be maintained and kept clean
Modular all-in-one filter design for easy maintenance
Comes with a complete DIY-friendly installation kit
More expensive than most systems
Requires basic plumbing tools like wrenches and teflon tape
Cheapest option in the recommended list
Eradicates traces of chlorine, sediments and other impurities from tap water
Small filtration system saves space
Ultra-Ease Filtration Replacement features for hassle-free changes
Durability complaints by some users
Lower filtration capacity compared to other systems
Here’s everything you need to know to purchase the right reverse osmosis system for your home:
The Basics: What Is a Reverse Osmosis System?
Reverse osmosis is a system that uses the osmosis process to purify your water. When water enters the reverse osmosis tank, it goes through special semi permeable membranes. These membranes use osmosis to filter out impurities, solid substances, harmful chemicals, and minerals from the water. It’s a safe and hygienic way to improve the water quality of your house.
Reverse osmosis units can be fitted inside the kitchen sink cabinet and over-the-countertop. Larger systems can be hooked to the main supply line to provide filtered water to the whole house.
Should Everyone Buy a Reverse Osmosis Water System?
In the modern era, there is no excuse for you to drink unsanitary water and risk contracting water-borne diseases. Reverse osmosis systems are considered as a necessary precaution against unseen foreign bodies that are lingering in the water supply.
It’s also a great way to fix water issues in your municipal supply line and well water respectively.
With an RO system you get:
- Safe drinkable water from your tap.
- Clean water to wash the dishes and fresh produce
- Avoid exposure to bacterial infection caused by dirty water
- Sterilized water to wash baby bottles and utensils
- Lower energy costs
& a lot more The best part is that reverse osmosis systems cost don’t exceed your budget. So it feels like an economical investment compared to other water treatment options.
Best Reverse Osmosis Filtration System on the Market
The OptimH2O® water filter is a powerhouse that offers the benefits of reverse osmosis, Claryum® Technology and remineralization. It filters 5 times more contaminants than other water filters and claims to remove 88 substances in water, which includes chemicals, heavy metals and pesticides. It’s an NSF certified Benzene water filter, which means you can rely on it for pure and hydrating water. The activated carbon filters the water finely, the catalytic carbon is an ammonia disinfectant, the absolute sub-micron filtration captures chlorine resistant cysts and finally, remineralization gives you clean and tasty drinking water, which makes this the best reverse osmosis filter for Benzene.
As mentioned earlier, reverse osmosis water filters for fluoride are highly-effective. They are the easiest way to get crystal clear water that tastes great and has zero fluoride residues. So if you’re on the lookout for an RO system for fluoridated water then you should choose OptimH2O Reverse Osmosis + Claryum.
Why? This premium quality filtration unit merges the efficiency of reverse osmosis process with high tech features. These special features ensure that every impurity from fluoride to microorganisms like bacteria and viruses are removed. The best part is that it removes 97% fluoride without demineralizing the water. In other words, your drinking water will contain the good minerals you need to keep you healthy and safe.
The only issue you’ll face is during the installation process as it requires an expert. Besides this, environmentally-conscious families won’t like the fact that the system isn’t water efficient.
- Has been tested and proven to remove 5 times more contaminants than other reverse osmosis water filters
- Offers remineralization of water, which restores the right amount of potassium, magnesium and calcium in it for optimally pH balanced water and alkalinity
- The selective Claryum® filtration removes 74 contaminants from water
- The RO process filters contaminants smaller than one micron
- The combination of reverse osmosis, Claryum® Technology and remineralization offers a reliable flow rate
- Ideal under sink fluoride water filter for families big and small
- Ultra-efficient RO system to purify your dirty tap water
- It removes 95% of fluoride and adds back lost minerals to improve water quality
- Regulates a steady water flow without any blockages
- User-friendly replacement and maintenance process
- NSF certified fluoride water filter
- Requires professional installation
- Water wastage is more than most water filter systems
Watts Premier 531417 RO Pure Plus is an excellent water treatment plant. The slim design ensures that it fits under the sink effortlessly. This feature makes it an ideal device for a small household. The installation process itself is pretty simple too, which is always a bonus.
What about performance? For a unit that costs less than $200, it works remarkably well. The system supports a 4 stage filtration process to purify the water. The unit includes carbon filters, specialized semi permeable membrane for sediments, GDP filters, and post-carbon filters. The help removes dirt and large particles, lead, rust and other anomalies from your water line.
You can expect to get on-demand crystal clear water whenever you use the RO faucet.
Another advantage of this system is that the filters are easy to replace. You simply have to press the filter, twist it, and then pull. It’s also got a shut-off valve that makes sure that the replacement process is mess-free.
Overall, Watts Premier 531417 RO Pure Plus is a worthwhile purchase for small homes. It saves space, cleans water, and doesn’t require too much maintenance. The only setback is that some users might feel that the storage tank is insufficient. In that case, you should look for a system that accommodates your storage requirements.
- Simple installation process
- Easy to maintain
- Adequate 4 stage filtration system
- Filters well and municipal supply water
- Affordable unit
- Slim design fits easily under the sink
- Removes lead and rust along with other impurities
- Easy to replace filters
- Limited water storage capacity
APEC Water System RO-90 is an environmentally-friendly product. It’s no wonder that consumers refer to it as a top-tier model. The system is doable for the long haul and requires filter replacement every 6-12 months depending on your usage. Compared to standard models this system appears to be more durable.
The device features a multi-layered filtration process that delivers a fantastic performance. Not only does it clear out the impurities, but it maximizes its results with the double carbon blocks fitted inside. It’s also got a unique coconut shell refining carbon that enhances the taste.
Is it worth the price? APEC Water System RO-90 may not have a remineralization filter, but it’s still an excellent fixture for your home. The water efficiency, eco-friendly features, and refined filtration technique make it worth the price ($229).
- 5-stage filtration process for thorough water purification
- It features double carbon blocks to optimize performance
- Removes 99% impurities in your water
- Minimum leaks, water pressure issues, and other common issues
- Installation kit includes a rust-resistant stylish chrome-base faucet
- Eco-friendly coconut filter for the last stage
- Large water storage capacity (4 gallons)
- Comes with a complete kit to simplify the installation process
- FDA certified
- Pricier than some water treatment plants
- The system doesn’t include a remineralization tank
Express Reverse RO5DX Water Filter System is an excellent filtration system with a 10-stage process. The small design ensures that it can be discreetly fitted inside the kitchen cabinet. It also comes at an affordable price without compromising efficiency. This fact makes it an ideal purchase for those on a budget.
How well does it perform? We give it a 10/10 on functionality due to its superior multi-staged filtration process. The mechanism tackles sediments, toxic chemicals, odors, and metallic tastes with ease. Plus, the alkaline filtration helps replenish its mineral content and neutralize its pH level. The latter helps remove the acidic taste that might be present in your water.
As a consequence, you get access to freshly cleaned water with no traces of unclean residue. It also mineralizes the water to ensure that your drinking water is high in antioxidants that keep your body healthy and active.
As far as construction is concerned, this model is fitted with lead and BPA-free parts that prevent corrosion. Besides this, there is the double seal for filters and a no-leak valve that minimizes water wastage. The emergency valve shuts down the system automatically whenever leakage occurs.
Overall, it’s a reliable system that’s easy to connect with its DIY-friendly construction and feed adapter. You might, however, have to install it carefully or else it’s prone to leak until all loose ends are secure. Another disadvantage is that you need to replace the filters more frequently than other brands.
- Advanced 10-stage filtration process to purify contaminated water
- Alkaline filtration system to regulate the water’s pH level
- Provides healthy mineral water that’s rich in antioxidants
- Quick Connect system that’s easy to install and maintain
- Double-sealed filters for utmost protection
- Leak Stop Valve prevents leakage
- Fast flow rate
- Complete installation kit with spare replacement filters
- Affordable price (less than $200)
- Leakage issues during the installation process
Filters need frequent replacement
Compact, efficient, long-lasting–these are the qualities that everyone wants from their RO system.
Fortunately, iSpring promises to deliver just that, with its superior refine multilayered mechanism. You can expect it to eradicate all kinds of harmful chemicals, odors, and bacteria at the end of the process. So you get access to clean drinkable water at the end of the 5-stage process.
The system is built with tried and tested components that maximize performance. The well-crafted design works ceaselessly for months with no apparent issues. It only requires routine cleaning which will be indicated when its transparent housing looks dirty. Another plus point is its leak blocker that eliminates leakage issues you’d associate with standard water filters.
The overall construction is safe and secure, and you can set it up without any help. You can fit in under the kitchen cabinet for easy access and it comes with a European style faucet for aesthetic appeal.
At $186, this looks like an affordable investment for high-quality water supply. The only drawback is that the water flow rate isn’t that great. So you may face problems with water pressure from time to time.
However, you can resolve that issue with professional assistance.
- Solid construction assures durability
- Comes with a complete installation set
- The 5-stage filtration process removes all known anomalies from your tap water
- Filters have 6 months-3 years warranty depending on their function
- Package includes a stylish lead-free RO faucet
- Features a leak blocker and feed adapter to minimize common problems
- Transparent housing makes cleaning it hassle-free
- Affordable unit
- Slower water flow rate
Are you looking for an RO system for your dorm or studio apartment?
If you’ve got limited space then Pelican Pro 6-Stage Under Countertop RO is right for you. The unit’s compact design will ensure that it fits in tight spaces without issues. The system features a seamless end-to-end process that filters, purifies, and adds minerals to your water. At the end of which, you get fresh mineral water that’s free from any form of contamination. Plus, it tastes great too.
The best part is that this clever unit is capable of filtering 50 gallons per day. This characteristic ensures that that tank remains filled at all times. Additionally, the water-sensitive system minimizes water consumption by 50% more than traditional units.
Apart from this, the product comes with an LED indicator light that tells you when the filter needs replacement. It’s also got color coded fittings that simplify the installation and servicing process.
The only issue is that the product comes with a hefty price tag (starting from $350). This may seem a bit much for consumers on a budget.
- Compact size helps save space
- High-efficiency 6 step water purification processes
- Adds back lost minerals (magnesium and calcium) to make filtered water healthier
- Filters approximately 50 gallons per day
- Great water flow rate
- Easy to maintain
- It reduces water wastage up to 50% more than regular systems
- Pricey purchase
- Some users complained about leaks
Are you looking for an affordable option?
At only $107, Whirlpool Wher25 is the best money can buy. The system may not come with bells and whistles associated with modern filters but manages to serve you well. The compact unit is designed to save space for smaller homes. It’s also got an installation kit that allows you to set up the unit without calling a plumber.
The system features a highly-efficient three phase filtration system that removes all possible anomalies. Thus, it provides you with fresh, clean water from the kitchen sink. The dechlorination process ensures that the water is tasteless, odorless, and suitable for drinking,
What’s more? The filter has an EZ-Change indicator light that flashes whenever the filter is dirty. Typically, it takes 6 months for that to happen. Plus, the easy ‘twist and pull’ removal process makes it easier for you to change the filters.
The only setback is that its size slows the filtration process down.
- Small filtration system to saves space
- Ultra-Ease Filtration Replacement features for hassle-free changes
- Eradicates traces of chlorine, sediments and other impurities from tap water
- Simple 3-step filtration process for better results
- Functional for wells and municipal water supply
- EPA approved
- Budget-friendly unit
- Inadequate filtration capacity
- Durability complaints by some users
Are you planning to place the RO tank under the sink?
The Home Master HydroPerfection Undersink Reverse Osmosis System is your best bet. The latest edition to their RO family hopes to resolve issues you may have with a traditional design. This model comes in a modular fit that is easy to maintain throughout the year.
What about performance? The innovative system boasts to purify your water with a 9-step filtration system. This includes basic filtration, sterilization, remineralization, and other chemical-free treatment. As a result, you get safe drinkable water each time you turn the RO faucet.
Adding to this is a UV-light sterilization technique that kills off 99% of the harmful microorganisms found in your water supply. It’s also got a water sensible feature that conserves water usage and keeps wastage to a minimum.
Best of all, the upgraded design helps reduce leakage, low water pressure, and other system issues. It’s certainly a solid investment that will work well for both well water and city water. You just have to pay a few extra bucks for it compared to other units.
- Advanced filtration process to provide you clean water.
- Modular all-in-one filter design for easy maintenance
- Minimum water wastage
- Comes with a complete DIY-friendly installation kit
- UV-light sterilization system to purify water
- EPA approved
- Costly purchase
- You may face issues during the initial fitting
The Benefits: Why Do You Need A Reverse Osmosis System?
Let’s be honest, whether you live in the city or outside, fresh water is still a luxury. Most of the supply lines provide you with contaminated water that is unclean and smells funky. These characteristics make the water unusable for daily use let alone drinking.
Typically, you solve this issue by using bottled water for drinking but that just adds to your household budget. Plus, the problem doesn’t end here!
You would like to have clean water to do the rest of the household chores too. This includes everything from washing the dishes, cleaning the house, watering the plants to doing laundry. Which means you’ll need gallons and gallons of clean water from an external resource.
At this rate, it’s a lot easier to install an reverse osmosis system to resolve this issue instead of making elaborate changes in the plumbing line.
Here are all the reasons why reverse osmosis systems are a lifesaver:
1. Reverse Osmosis is the Best Alternative for Bottled Water
Plastic isn’t that fantastic.
In this green revolution, plastics are proactively being removed from our lives. So it’s evident that most households are looking for an eco-friendly substitute for bottled water. You can always opt for glass bottles, stainless steel bottles, etc for storage. However, you still need store-bought water for drinking purposes and those guys are still using plastic bottles.
This is where reverse osmosis systems come in handy.
It provides you with safe drinking water that:
- Is odorless
- Tastes great
- Doesn’t have any impurities or bacteria inside
- Contains minerals and antioxidants that improve your health
The biggest advantage is that this fixture significantly reduces your usage of plastic. This, in turn, has a positive impact on the environment.
In other words, switching to a reverse osmosis faucet over bottled water paves the path for an eco-friendly lifestyle.
2. Improves Water Quality in the Kitchen
Kitchens are the heart of the house.
Typically, you do more than half of your household chores in the kitchen. You use the kitchen sink to clean dishes, wash fruits and veggies, and numerous other reasons. You might also need the tap water for cooking pasta, making tea, and whatnot.
So if there something wrong in your pipeline, then it’s going to have an impact on all these daily tasks. You don’t want to take that risk. Not only is it a potential threat to your health, but it’s a problem away from a hefty maintenance bill.
Fortunately, advanced reverse osmosis systems are built for this scenario.
Most RO systems will prevent:
- Toxic substances from corroding your kitchen utensils.
- Impurities from contaminating your food.
- You from contracting water-borne diseases (e.g. diarrhea and cholera)
In short, you combat all several different water problems with a single unit. It truly is the safest way to avoid your kitchen faucet from becoming a health hazard.
3. Reverse Osmosis Systems are Safe for Everyone
Are you looking for a water treatment that’s safe for everyone?
It’s no hidden secret that infants and elderly family members have weak immune systems. The same issue arises when someone is sick or suffering from a chronic ailment. This means that they are more likely to get sick when they drink or use unclean water.
Then reverse osmosis systems are a great option to avoid this.
How? That’s because the device:
- Lowers sodium levels
- Removes lead
- Filters out sediments and large particles
- Eradicates the presence of chlorine and other chemicals
Overall, it eliminates all plausible substances that could harm your health. Additionally, most system feature mineralization process that let good mineral content to enter the water. As a result, the filtered water helps improves your health while keeping it away from unsafe substances.
4. Reverse Osmosis Systems are Easy on the Wallet
How much does a reverse osmosis system cost?
The initial cost of the RO tanks may vary depending on its size, construction, features, and brand. However, we’ve estimated the general price range to be around $150-500. This might seem like too much for budget-conscious folks who’d prefer a cheaper solution.
However, the long-term benefits of reverse osmosis systems compensate for their initial price.
That’s because they:
- Lower your energy bills
- Reduce your water wastage
- Prevent frequent visits to the doctor
- Minimize maintenance costs
- Don’t require add-ons
Moreover, their lifetime warranty is longer than those short-term solutions. All these things make it a valuable investment for your home.
The Mechanism: How Do Reverse Osmosis Systems Work?
Do you remember learning about osmosis in science?
Well, reverse osmosis systems reengineer the osmosis process by forcing the large particles and substances (impurities) to move in the opposite direction. So instead of forming a high concentrated solution, they form a lower one aka purified water. Think of the filter as a strainer that removes the unseen anomalies from your water.
As a result, the semi permeable membrane permits the clean water to pass through while the contaminated solution is drained out.
Here’s a little glimpse of how the reverse osmosis membrane works:
Now, this is only one section of the filtration system. Typically, most reverse osmosis systems have numerous filters that deal with specific contaminants. The average filtration tank is equipped with three filters, so we’ll be using this as the basis of our explanation.
Here’s a breakdown of what’s happening inside your RO system:
In the first stage, the water goes through a sediment filter. The filter removes larger residue, dissolved solids, and other big molecules from the water. This ensures that the reverse osmosis process faces no clogs and obstructions due to the larger sediments.
It also preserves the specialized membranes to enhance its longevity.
After the sediments are removed the water is pushed through the semi-permeable membrane with the help of high water pressure. As explained earlier, the membrane prevents the contaminated particles from passing through.
In this way, the water molecules are separated from the impurities.
An efficient reverse osmosis system removes chlorine, calcium, sodium and other harmful substances (e.g. bacteria, and viruses) from moving along. Furthermore, most reverse osmosis processes also eradicate lead and rust particles too.
The third phase is a second round of filtration that deals with any leftover residue that the last step may have missed. After this, the water flows into the storage tank and is kept there until you turn the faucet.
The storage tank contains an in-line carbon filter that gets rid of odors and flavors that may have entered the water from the tank/pipes. Besides this, many reverse osmosis models have a remineralization filter that adds essential minerals to the purified water. This ensures that you have access to As a result, you get fresh and healthy water each time you use the faucet.
The Installation: How Do You Install a Reverse Osmosis System?
Are you ready to install your reverse osmosis system?
The great thing is that most of the products on this guide can be installed without professional help. You just need the right supplies and basic plumbing skills to hook up your device. Additionally, many of these models have color-coded connectors that you can attach without using advanced tools.
The only thing that you need to be sure of is whether or not your unit will fit in the desired location. That’s why you should try to measure the dimensions of that spot against the tank beforehand.
Does it have to be installed under the sink?
Nope. It’s not necessary to follow the standard procedure. If you don’t have enough space under the sink, then you can get a portable system or something that is designed for the whole house.
For the second option, you can install that unit in the basement, a utility room, or garage.
Here are some tips to help you pick the right spot:
- Always install the system on a cold water line.
- It should be connected to the downstream of other water treatment appliances (e.g, inline water filter or water softener).
- Never install it in areas where the system might freeze.
- You might need a delivery pump if you plan to run a water line to the kitchen sink.
That’s it! You can always seek advice from a plumber or customer support if you’re having second doubts about the installation place.
Now that we’ve cleared that out, let’s answer the main question.
How do you install the system?
For convenience, we’ve only listed the steps required to install it under the sink. You should probably take help from the product manual to tally the steps for accuracy.
Here’s a rundown of what you need to do to install the RO system:
- Gather the supplies and double check if the product came with all the required parts. You don’t want to stop the process midway due to a missing piece.
- Shut down the cold water feed that’s connected to the kitchen faucet.
- Next, drill a hole for the RO faucet on the sink. (this might not be required for sinks that already have an extra hole for such situations)
- Mount the RO tap by putting the stem through the hole. Then secure it at the bottom with the help of a quick connect fitting.
Pro tip: Do check with your superintendent or landlord if you’re allowed to hook up an additional tap on the sink. They might suggest installing an air gap with the faucet.
- Install the T-connector under the sink.
- Connect the cold water line by assembling a saddle valve clamp on it. Adjust the clamp to fit properly with the main pipeline. Then tighten the bolt so to secure the connection.
- Place your RO system and its water storage tank under the sink. You will have to drill pilot holes in the cabinet wall to mount it there.
- Once mounted use the color coded connectors to link-up the filtration system. Each manufacturer has different guidelines to do this. So make sure that you read their instructions clearly. The main idea is to connect the system to the saddle valve, faucet, drain pipe, and storage tank respectively.
- After this, make sure that all the fittings are tight and secure. Otherwise, the loose ends may cause a leakage problem.
Pro tip: A good way to make sure that you’ve hooked up the system properly is by checking if you’ve used all the main parts. If you have left off anything, then it’s a clear indication that you’ve missed out a step. You should go through the manual again to complete the installation process before you test the system.
3. Trial Run
In the end, you should turn on the water supply and then start the system. This might require you to plug the reverse osmosis system up if the filtration unit comes with UV filters. Then while the system is running you should examine the unit and water line for leaks or water flow issues.
Test the water by using the reverse osmosis faucet to make sure that everything is working properly.
Lastly, drain the system twice or thrice before you start using it. This ensures that the interiors are washed properly and it also gives you an idea of how well the system works.
Your reverse osmosis system is ready for use.
To sum up reverse osmosis systems…
Long story short, reverse osmosis systems are a cost-effective way to combat common contamination problems in your tap water. The filters we’ve reviewed are capable of dealing with both municipal water supply issues and water well anomalies too. That means you can use the same system if you ever plan to move.
All in all, the reverse osmosis systems are hassle-free installations that work in multiple conditions. Some of them come with built-in UV filtration fixtures that sterilize your water. Thus, it makes these devices a solid investment for anyone who is looking for an on-demand clean tap water supply.
We’ve already listed the best reverse osmosis systems available in the market. So all you have to do is find one that matches your needs and make the purchase.
So which RO will you choose?
Watch this space for more reviews and guides on how to improve the water quality of your home.